英 [əˈrest] 美 [əˈrɛst]
及物动词 逮捕，拘捕; 止住，阻止，抑制; 吸引(注意)
名词 拘留; 停止，阻止; 制动(装置)
1. he was arrested on a charge of murder.
2. the bright colors of the flowers arrested susan's attention.
3. poor food arrests the natural growth of children.
4. the medicine will arrest the infection in his leg.
1. the police made three arrests yesterday.
if the police arrest you, they take charge of you and take you to a police station, because they believe you may have committed a crime.
e.g. police arrested five young men in connection with one of the attacks...
e.g. the police say seven people were arrested for minor offences.
if something or someone arrests a process, they stop it continuing.
e.g. the sufferer may have to make major changes in his or her life to arrest the disease...
e.g. the law could arrest the development of good research if applied prematurely.
if something interesting or surprising arrests your attention, you suddenly notice it and then continue to look at it or consider it carefully.
e.g. the work of an architect of genius always arrests the attention no matter how little remains...
e.g. as he reached the hall after her, he saw what had arrested her.
1. the police attempted to arrest guo after the hostages were released, but guo tried to escape by car.
2. according to a report by the washington post on july 25, more than 10 jail officers in prince george of maryland have arrest records.
3. reports on the arrest of malaysian fishing boats by the indonesian authority and vice versa, emerged several times this year and 2010.
4. rio tinto's business in china was hampered by the arrest of its shanghai office staff member stern hu on charges of stealing state secrets.
5. struck said saddam's arrest should help calm the situation in iraq by destroying any residual hopes of his supporters that he could seize back power.
6. the paper's report followed news of jackson's death first reported by the tmz entertainment website, which said that the singer suffered a cardiac arrest.
7. doctors said chen's heart started beating again during treatment at the hospital, but the cardiac arrest had damaged other organs.
8. brittany died last month at their los angeles home after suffering cardiac arrest and was found collapsed in the shower by her mother sharon.
9. jackson died at age 50 on june 25 after going into cardiac arrest in the bedroom of his rented mansion.
10. clive clarke collapsed because of a cardiac arrest at halftime of a 2007 match while playing for leicester at nottingham forest. 猜你喜欢： 1.单词honeys的中文是什么意思 2.英语power的中文是什么意思 3.单词money的中文是什么意思 4.英文pc表示的是什么中文意思
英 [ˈdʒentl] 美 [ˈdʒɛntl]
形容词 温和的; 文雅的; 高尚的
及物动词 使温和; 使驯服
名词 蛆; 饵
1. he is a man of gentle blood.
2. ours is a gentle horse.
3. he is a gentle person.
4. he was a man gentle in manner but firm in action.
5. she gave me a gentle push.
1. to his show business friends, he was a gentle and considerate man.
2. by now that gentle chill that required a light jacket at beijing west railway station has developed into frost and snow.
3. the massage started with gentle but firm kneading around the shoulders and along the affected channels in the arms to activate the qi and blood.
4. the gentle flow between various movements contributes to a state of calmness.
5. the illumination casts gentle streams on the centre on the table and people can sit on soft sofas.
6. so drivers didn't push each other onto the grass, and the chequered flag was acknowledged with a gentle wave.
7. the coat and chiffon dress created a gentle silhouette that suited her figure.
8. she pointed to an approaching vehicle i couldn't make out or hear, until it rang a gentle chime.
9. trainers said they are chosen for their gentle personality and good communication with people.
10. real change can only come from within china but gentle prodding from a close trading partner can also help.
someone who is gentle is kind, mild, and calm.
e.g. my son was a quiet and gentle man who liked sports and enjoyed life...
e.g. michael's voice was gentle and consoling.
gentle actions or movements are performed in a calm and controlled manner, with little force.
e.g. ...a gentle game of tennis...
e.g. his movements were gentle and deliberate.
3. (天气)温和的; (尤指风)和煦的，微弱的
if you describe the weather, especially the wind, as gentle, you mean it is pleasant and calm and not harsh or violent.
e.g. the blustery winds of spring had dropped to a gentle breeze.
a gentle slope or curve is not steep or severe.
e.g. ...gentle, rolling meadows...
e.g. there were two passes over 13,000 feet but the slopes were gentle.
a gentle heat is a fairly low heat.
e.g. cook for 30 minutes over a gentle heat.
用文火煮30分钟。 猜你感兴趣： 1.单词sit的中文是什么意思 2.单词min表示的中文是什么意思 3.单词surprise中文是什么意思 4.单词honeys的中文是什么意思 5.单词have的中文是什么意思 6.单词lift的中文是什么意思
英 [spent] 美 [spɛnt]
形容词 用过的; 不再有用的; 已废的; 失效的
动词 花费; 用钱，花钱( spend的过去式和过去分词 ); 消耗; 花(时间)
1. why do you keep those spent matches?
2. he was completely spent after two weeks of hard labor.
3. he was totally spent when he got to the top of the hill.
1. some 62 percent of the city's total travel expenses are spent on business trips, while more than 60 percent of fortune 500 companies are already located here.
2. cuban spent a chunk of his fortune to buy his favorite team in january 2000.
3. china national radio recently reported that the chinese government spent 80 billion yuan to buy vehicles last year.
4. the national association of realtors in the united states reports that foreign investors spent $ 82 billion to buy properties in the us in 2011.
5. it not only ridicules the poor judgment of the buyer, but also criticizes the unnecessary efforts the seller has spent in making the case.
6. he spent about 250 yuan buying a wireless router and a network interface card to have wireless access at home.
7. he read a lot of books to learn how to look after it and later spent most of his pocket money on buying more beetles.
8. the culprit spent the sum in buying internet virtual currency in order to launder the money he illicitly obtained.
9. the collection spent the next 15 years housed in a single room and could be seen only by appointment.
10. readers of my contributions will guess by now i have spent most of my life in australia.
a：well, i’ve looked over your resume, mr. peepers.
b：please, call me ted.
a：well, ted, this is a very impressive resume. however, we do have several other applicants to finish interviewing before we can make a final decision. we’ll call you by friday, if that’s all right.
b：that’s no problem.
a：do you have any other questions?
b：well, what kind of salary do you provide?
a：salary is based on experience as well as* time spent with our company.
a：salary can be negotiated once we officially offer you the job.
a：we need to figure out how much money we’re spending and what we’re spending it on.
a：well, i think we could be saving more.
b：really, well, o.k. get the receipts out.
a：let’s see. we spent $700 dollars for our home loan payment, $400 on groceries, $75 on utilities, $250 on gasoline, $100 on books, and $300 on entertainment last month.
a：we put $500 into the savings account, and $750 into our stock account.
b：$3075. our paychecks our $3300, combined. that means we don’t have any receipts for $225.
对。 猜你喜欢： 1.英文spend的汉语是什么意思 2.单词have的中文是什么意思 3.英语单词mod的中文是什么意思 4.单词honeys的中文是什么意思
英 [stri:t] 美 [strit]
1. i live on the same street as peter.
2. he lives in park street.
3. the whole street protested such police brutality.
a street is a road in a city, town, or village, usually with houses along it.
e.g. he lived at 66 bingfield street...
他住在宾菲尔德大街 66 号。
e.g. boppard is a small, quaint town with narrow streets.
you can use street or streets when talking about activities that happen out of doors in a town rather than inside a building.
e.g. changing money on the street is illegal — always use a bank...
e.g. their aim is to raise a million pounds to get the homeless off the streets.
他们的目标是筹集 100 万英镑，使那些无家可归者不再流浪街头。
3. see also: back street;civvy street;downing street;fleet street;high street;wall street
if someone is streets ahead of you, they are much better at something than you are.
e.g. he was streets ahead of the other contestants.
if you talk about the man in the street or the man or woman in the street, you mean ordinary people in general.
e.g. the average man or woman in the street doesn't know very much about immune disorders.
a：(most/ almost all/ a great deal) of the street parking is gone by then.
a：what’s the quickest way to get there?
b：if i were you, i’d take a taxi.
a：can you tell me where the taxi stand is?
b：you will find a taxi stand on the street corner.
不客气。 猜你感兴趣： 1.英语单词mad是什么中文意思 2.单词between是什么汉语意思 3.单词force的中文是什么意思 4.英语单词turn是什么意思